Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I Never Did Mind About the Little Things"

Well I've done something I never thought I'd do on this blog. In fact, I structured the page with the understanding that I never would do it. But I'm someone who believes that confession is good for the soul.

So, here it goes:

I changed skins.

That's right. I actually purchased a skin that isn't from Minnu... and not only that, I've been wearing it for hours. See, I venture out and buy new skins all the time. And then I wear them for about 20 minutes and decide I can't deal with it and switch back. It's a combination of not liking my shape in different skins or not liking specific details. I'm just as picky with my real life make up as I am with my virtual shading and highlighting. When I find something that I like, I stick with it and I vary very, very little. I've been wearing the same type of purple-ish eye shadow since I was 19. I switch brands, sure - Laura Mercier, Mac, Channel, Clinique - but it's all pretty much the same. I do switch it up a bit when it comes to lipstick and lip gloss, but basically... I know what works and I stick with it.

Minnu's skins just work with my shape that was tweaked for days and days to fit. Sure, sometimes I think of different colors that I wish she'd do (an eye shadow similar to my favorite Mac purple, for example would bring tears to these Mercier-lined eyes), but overall I'm thrilled with my Minnu skins and can't ever change for any period of time.

Tonight, however, I took a jaunt to a new SIM that I'd heard whispers here and there about. After adjusting my settings for the full effect, I slowly made my way around the offerings at The Abyss and paused to review the skins. I did what I always do - pick up all the demos and wait to get home to try them on. I need to try a skin with all my favorite hair styles and a few of my favorite shirts... I need to wear it around and catch sight of my face from different angles to see if there's anything that rubs me the wrong way.

And this one? It didn't... it really didn't. The lipstick is more severe than a color I'd wear consistantly, but it's fun for specific looks. I love the smokey eyes. They're not TOO dark but dark enough to give contrast to my eyes and make them pop just the way I like it. I even love the contouring offered with the blush just under my cheek bones. Yes, yes indeed... I think I like it.

So, I teleported back and pushed my way through the lag to buy my favorite pack. I slid it on dashed back home. There was one final test that the skin had to pass. See, I'm not the only one who's pretty happy with my Minnu skins. In fact, every "other" skin I've tried on Ben has almost immediately rejected. And 9 times out of 10, I agree with him completely. So, this time I didn't say anything. I was up on a pose stand taking a few pictures when he signed on. After our usually (sickeningly sweet) greetings, he said "you look awfully cute..." I held my breath and offered a simple "/me smiles" in return... "... despite the different skin." "/me sighs" But, instead of an "I don't like it," he said, "it's a different, hot little look." Well that was positive.

I took him back to The Abyss and we shopped some more and marveled at the SIM build. (It's really, really phenomenal - if you haven't been, go. And, follow the directions for altering your settings.) As we dressed to go listen to one of our favorite DJ's, I even got a "the skin is growing on me."

So while I don't think I'll ever leave Minnu permanently (and I really, REALLY won't if the aforementioned Mac purple shows up when the SIM reopens in December), I am happy to have found a "different, hot little look."



One of the first stores I found and fell in love with in SL was Sand Shack Surf Co. I was thrilled to see a notice of new stuff from Emma today, right after I wore my ballet flats on the blog, too. She released some adorable kitten heels that I had to check out (thank god for the "shack pack!") and there are some fantastic new sweaters, too. I thought the black was perfect with my dramatic make up and hair. I like the unexpectedness of the ruffled edge and lace insets with the more dramatic elements of the outfit. I wanted a little color pop and figured the tintable tank from Persona would be the perfect option. When I put it on, it was already tinted this great deep aqua color from an outfit I wore last week. It was the perfect "pop" under the black layers so I didn't even change it. The tuxedo pants from Last Call are the manifestation of unattainable perfection. I love their low-slung nature; the fit through the hips and thighs and the smooth flare at the legs. The "tuxedo" stripe down the side is just an added finishing detail that makes these pants my favorite black "go to" pants ever.



The accessories for this outfit were simple. I added a prim belt buckle for finishing. The wrapped pearl necklace from Bonita works with the lower cut neckline of the sweater and compliments the short, modern hair. Ah, the hair. This hair is super, duper, uber flexi hair from Analog Dog. While it's officially called "Sasha," in my inventory it's labeled "Femme Nikita" and every time I wear it, I picture Bridgette Fonda calmly saying "I never did mind about the little things" in the movie Point of No Return. In my mind, it fit with the make up and the overall feel of The Abyss SIM. (Have I mentioned that you HAVE to go check it out?)

The finishing touch came from the "Diva" shoe from Tesla. I liked the height of the heel and thought that the platform sole added that touch of funk the outfit needed. Plus, in my mind I had morphed in to an assasin and for some reason, I could just see running down the street in these puppers. (Uh, in my fantasy world... in the real world, I'd trip and skin my knees and the palms of my hands which would result in my trying not to cry like a little girl while wondering which hurt worse - my owies or my ego.)


Sweater - Frills Trim Cardigan, Black - Jacket Layer
Sand Shack Surf Co.
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Lions Shore/62/196/0/


Pants
- Maidi Tuxedo Pants - Pant Layer, Smooth or Slouchy Prim Pant Leg Attachments (part of "Maidi" outfit)
Last Call
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dazzle/68/11/27/


Undershirt - Tank Top, tintable - Colors Available on Jacket Layer, Tintable on Undershirt and Underpants Layers (for "tucked in" look)
Persona
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Axenfall/131/61/22/

Necklace - Black Wrapped Bead Necklace, Low Shine - Prim Chest Attachment
Bonita's Jewelry and Furniture Shop
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Malra/45/87/66/

Belt - Easy Street Belt Buckle - Prim Pelvis Attachment (part of "Easy Street" outfit)
TorridWear
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chartreuse/177/69/22/

Shoes - Diva, Black - Shoe Base, Prim Foot Attachments
Tesla
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dreamworld South/231/221/22/

Hair - Sasha, Black - Prim Chin Bang Attachment, Prim Head Hair Attachment
Analog Dog
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Triggerfish/82/27/21/

Skin - Jadzi Noxious_SS, [3]C
The Abyss
http://slurl.com/secondlife/The Abyss/96/136/237/

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the skin looks great. is that the same shape? looks like your chin's rounder, of course, the reference to ms fonda seems to fit with the new look.

kristianne said...

Yep, the exact same shape with no editing at all. It does looks a bit rounder, though, doesn't it? Might just be the shading...?

Of course, I'm back to Minnu today! *laughs*

Anonymous said...

The skin is lovely! I'll have to go check those out. It's so funny, but I love Minnu skins on everyone EXCEPT me. *laughs* I see people wearing them, I go get a demo (which I've done now about 50 times) and each time...no way. They're just not good on my shape. But it's always fun to change around once in a while! :)

Tenshi said...

Are you compensated per Minnu mention, or per blog post?

kristianne said...

Interesting question, Tenshi... although a bit bizarre.

I'm not compensated by anyone for anything I write in this blog. And actually, if you were to actually read my posts instead of just trying to stir up trouble, you'd see in my post two back that I don't write about review copies.

Everything I've written about on these pages, I've purchased or my boyfriend has gotten me as a gift. I don't write anything by request and I won't.

All of my Minnu skins I've purchased at full price all on my own. In fact, I've only spoken to Minnu twice - once to tell her the date on an invitation she sent to the group was wrong and once when working on another project for an old employer. I have no personal connection to her or any of her employees.

Anything else you'd like to use in an attempt to discredit me?

Bender said...

Had the eye makeup been any darker or if it had changed your shape, TRUST ME, it would have gotten the same "mmmm, I dun like it" response.

Biased or not, I think your shape and skin are absolutely perfectly matched and call me stubborn.... belligerant, pigheaded, and yes, manlike, but I love the way you look and would couldn't be happier with your Minnu (cha-ching!) skin.

In fact, I may pop over to Minnu's (cha-ching!) store and buy you a whole new set of Minnu (cha-ching!) skins. Minnu (cha-ching!) has always been so happy to see me in there spending my lindens on those FABULOUS Minnu (cha-ching!) skins!!

I'm heading there in 5 minuutes..(ching?)

kristianne said...

Oooh, keep going, honey... Just a few more and I can justify those shoes I've been eying...

And, thanks for the sweet words

(Told y'all it's a bit sick... *laughs*)

in every look (unless otherwise indicated)

  • Shape - Self-Designed
  • Eyes - Custom from Zada Zenovka - Shapes by Zada
  • Eyelashes - Bedroom Lashes - Cake
  • Ring - Asscher (sic) Bridal Set - CC Enterprises

all photographs by: