Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Petroleum

I've had a couple days of frustrating outfits. You know how sometimes it just comes together perfectly and then other times, you don't have a shirt on the right layer; the glitch pants aren't editable but for some reason are too long (or short) for the skirt; the prim belt won't stretch or shrink to fit your hips; the stockings you want to wear are on the pant layer and the glitch pants with the perfect waist band are ALSO on the pant layer and neither one is available on the underpants layer? Yeah, it's been two days of THAT. Designers, please hear my plea:

Glitch pants -

Please make them so I can change the length. Nothing frustrates me more than pants sticking out from the bottom of my skirt.

Please, please, please provide them on both the pant and underpants layer. I have so many skirts I want to wear with other pieces and I just can't.

Shirts -

Please provide them on all layers - jacket, shirt and undershirt. Again, there's so much layering I want to do but can't with the limited options presented.

Follow the lead of some of the inventive designers out there who provide longer shirts on the shirt and undershirt layer by providing a corresponding underpants that fills the gap between the bottom of the shirt and the top of the pant.

Pants -

Please provide pants on both the pant and underpants layers so that a longer baby doll with glitch pants (on the pant layer) can be worn. My favorite jeans get minimal exposure under some cute longer prim shirts and sweaters because I need the glitch pants on the pant layer.

Stockings -

Please provide the stocking tops on both the pant and underpants layers, too. See reasons listed above. To wear them with a babydoll, you gotta be able to wear the glitch pants, too.

Belts -

This is just a general comment - belts that are offered on the jacket layer are really great. There's no need to mess around with prims and the disappearing edges in to my (not THAT wide) hips.

Okay, my complaining is over.



All that said, I did manage to put together a pretty cute outfit. A few days ago, I was wandering through Shiny Things trying on fabulous sculptie demos and wondering just how many pairs of tuxedo heels one girl really needs (answer: all of them) when I "overheard" a conversation between two other fashionista shoppers. They were both wearing the same shrug in different colors and I eyed it up and down and decided I had to have it and jumped in to their conversation to inquire about its location. They directed me to MG Fashions and I scooped it up in, well, every color. And I love MG's "Petroleum" color that is featured in a few of her designs. And I love how it looks with the black and white of the rest of the outfit. While at MG, I also nabbed a few (okay, all) of her t-shirts. I love the detail on them... the neckline and sleeves, the drapey fabric around the stomach. And, you can't see it here, but the hem does this awesome little lift and fall. Here, though, I paired a white undershirt with the t-shirt to close the gab between the waistline of my skirt and the bottom of the t-shirt. The exposed skin didn't look right with the covered legs and arms.

Speaking of the legs and arms, the skirt from Devilish Cupcake is fantastic. It's available in a few different muted colors and comes with both the "smart" skirt and the regular skirt option. This, however, is the skirt I was mentioning where the glitch pants are too long and not editable. It's hardly noticeable with the fun "Weird Plaid" socks from Shiny Things and I did drop the skirt down a little bit to compensate as well. The belt is from the Last Call Sweater dress I wore in the last blog. I have to say that I love the look of it with this outfit, but it was one of those miserable headache inducers that actually prevented me from wearing it with the dress it came with. The black of the skirt absorbs some of the issues I had fitting the belt, though, so it works here. The detail of the leather straps and the charms is great - but the prim shape makes it really hard to fit on a girl with a bit of hips and butt. The belt and skirt also both attached to the same point (pelvis), so I had to attach the skirt to my stomach and move it down.

Maitreya's Blossom Boots are just indescribable. The detail is truly amazing and I spent a few minutes camming around them to take in the texture of the suede... the finishing touches on the buckle... and even noticed the scuffed soles under the toe of the boot. Maitreya also does a perfect heel, in my opinion. It's the right height, the right thickness. Just all-around gorgeous. (And, I second Iris Ophelia's comments here that this is a shoe designer who should "get real".)



I'm addicted to my Armidi SoHo hair. I can't seem to take it off. It's just the perfect casual hair look and I like the color of it very, very much. I'm trying to broach back in to my old standards, but this one is just too good.

Last Saturday night, in a fit of boredom, I headed out to Talisman for a "witch" hunt of free stuff. Last I heard, there were upwards of 50 funky witches hidden all around the area with free stuff from all of Talisman's vendors. (I was there for an hour and found less than 20 - seriously.) While there, I nabbed these awesome silver bangles. I've worn them almost every day since.


Sweater - Crocheted Shrug, Petroleum - Jacket Layer, Prim Upper Arm Sleeve Attachments MG Fashions http://slurl.com/secondlife/Portucalis/64/166/22/

T-Shirt - Line Flower Tee, White - Shirt or Undershirt Layer MG Fashions http://slurl.com/secondlife/Portucalis/64/166/22/

Undershirt - Kadesh Sheer Tank - Shirt or Undershirt Layer combined with Pant or Underpants Layer Last Call http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dazzle/68/11/27/

Skirt - Claire Tiered Skirt, Charcoal - Glitch Pants, Pant Layer, Prim Pelvis Attachment (attached to stomach for this outfit) Devilish Cupcake http://slurl.com/secondlife/Talana/220/42/26/

Socks - Weird Plaid Socks, Black - Sock Layer, Prim Thigh Bow Upper Leg Attachments Shiny Things http://slurl.com/secondlife/Shiny Falls/173/181/37/

Belt - Starley Charm Belt, Noir - Prim Pelvis Attachment Last Call http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dazzle/68/11/27/

Boots - Short Blossom Boot, Black - Shoe Base, Prim Foot and Lower Leg Attachments Maitreya http://slurl.com/secondlife/Superieure/94/43/451/

Choker - Chasm Necklace, Silver/Black - Prim Chest Attachment Lassitude & Ennui http://slurl.com/secondlife/Nouveau/65/63/30/

Bangles - Lady Thin Bangles, Silver - Prim Forearm Attachment (both Right and Left arms available) Talisman http://slurl.com/secondlife/Talisman/106/160/97/

Bracelet
- Single Checkered Bangle, Black - Prim Forearm Attachment (both Right and Left arms available) Woo's! http://slurl.com/secondlife/Stadtrand/28/207/21/

Hair
- The SoHo, Sangria - Prim Head Attachment Armidi http://slurl.com/secondlife/Armidi/135/127/26/

Skin - MM-Light SkinGloss-Blood Minnu Model Skins
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Glam World/118/136/23/

1 comment:

RedDawn Bade said...

Hey - just want to say hi and thanks for a great blog.

I love your use of mix and match, and your style. To me this is what SL fashion is all about. I love spending time parring items from different sets, editing items, even going so far as to tint and re-texture some items - all to try and pull together that perfect outfit.

And I totally have the same pet peeves. I mean really, I love the amazing designers out there, but how hard is it to provide multiple layers and the ability to edit glitch pants (or anything else for that matter).

in every look (unless otherwise indicated)

  • Shape - Self-Designed
  • Eyes - Custom from Zada Zenovka - Shapes by Zada
  • Eyelashes - Bedroom Lashes - Cake
  • Ring - Asscher (sic) Bridal Set - CC Enterprises

all photographs by: